Sunday 12 February 2017

Blog Post 2 Revised(Situational analysis)


Occasionally, there are situations that non-verbal communication can cause people to act rashly. In my instance, this interaction put my friends and I in quite a dangerous situation. The scene was at a China illegal gambling den which was behind a very old arcade. I was with 2 other friends, Joey, who was American, and David, who was Korean. David was playing at a video game table with multiple player sits which was empty, and joey and I were sharing another table. The goal of the game was to ‘catch fishes’ to gain points, with each fish giving a certain amount of points. Certain number of points will then be transferred to real time money.


In this case, I will be evaluating the man on non-verbal communication of culture. It was obvious that people in that country shouted a lot, but in this case, this middle-aged man looked like a regular in this gambling den, and this most likely gave him a feeling on superior as a regular. The man’s posture and actions of standing up and taunting will be a sign of aggression, so will be his tone of speech. I could tell that, even with the known fact that the locals there that talked loudly, that he was trying to start a fight. Also, not everyone will carry a knife around, with the fact that he had a knife showed that he might have had background of being in a rough society. On the other hand, David had no idea on how to deal with the situation, and from observation, his pride could have gotten in the way. David was proud to be Korean, and he was well respected as a foreigner in China, this might have blurred his judgement of the situation instead of accommodating with the man’s wants.

4 comments:

  1. PS: Real situation that happened quite a few yrs back in china

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Benjamin,

    From what you have described in your post, it is seem that you and your friends were put in a rather dangerous situation. I wonder what have your friend done, that render the man to take out the knife. Your friend David made a rather rash move by grabbing his hand to immobilise him, as you might never know if the man would make and sudden movement to counter that. Your friend might be left gravely hurt.

    If I were ever in the same situation as you, I would leave as soon as possible. Even if you outnumbered the man, he is dangerously armed. It is not worth it to get hurt over a arcade machine.
    I guess maybe rashness come with age, the younger you were the more rash you are.

    Hong Kai

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dear Benjamin Lu, I am sorry that you had this kind of bad memory in China, I believed that most of the Chinese are still humble and kind. I agree the point that non-verbal communication like tone of voice and stance can be affected culture in China. In China, there have amount of culture differences between southerner and northerner. The southerner usually like me, humble and peaceful. The northerner will be more forthright and enthusiastic. I hope you really enjoy the years that spend in China and I think run away is a better choice if this kind of situation happened again. As a great man knows when to yield and when not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, no man, it was rly fun acutally.. and i think most provinces are awesome except my city where i stayed

      Delete