Wednesday 8 February 2017

Descriptive Reflection: Strengths and Challenges in Communicating (Blog post #1) REVISED

Strength and Challenges
As I do not have many qualities in communication, one of the attributes that will excel in my communication is the interest in understanding different worldviews of each individual. Each person holds a certain truth to himself/herself, that perspective is solely his own. It intrigues me how the society and surrounding environment affects one's viewpoint and belief system, together with how he/she was raised as a child. This interest pushes me to desire communication with a variety of individuals, resulting in a urge to communicate and socialize with people. This results with conversations with countless people. Unfortunately, one's desire is also one's weakness. When someone does not fully comprehend the opposition party's viewpoint, or worst, disagrees with each other the tendency to argue and force their own viewpoint onto others is highly likely, and I believe that that is ones constraint. Communication goes downhill when one puts excessive emotion into his argument. No, not passion and inspiration, but anger and sadness. Each exchange of sentence carries an emotion and meaning, negative emotions such as anger will disrupt the flow of communication changing a simple debate to a heavy argument. Although born logical and observant, I cannot seem to control myself to not show and force my perspectives at certain situations. This causes misunderstandings and upsets the people around me, making it difficult for communication to continue smoothly. When I was working once, I did not understand the perspective of my superiors and disrespected their perspective, and that resulted in an argument. 

Two objectives
Two goals in which I would like to achieve by the end of this course is definitely, to open my mind more into understanding the behavior of others, accepting and opening my mind to their actions and communication purposes. Some people do not understand each other's reasons for acting or doing certain things, and talking in certain ways, and this will help me greatly in socializing with my surroundings. Secondly, presentation poses a weakness towards me. This aspect holds great priority in my future work and job. If I could pick up some tips and learn some presentation skills it would be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment